Tag Archives: Code

“Weekly update” – Nov/Dec 2015

I have been quite for too long 🙂 with the release of BMS4.33 followed by the Israeli Theater, I’ve had not much time to update the blog. However the Pit has been going places 🙂

first of all, I’ve replaced by 27″ 1440p display with a 40″ 4k computer monitor. I’m still tweaking graphics options, to get the performance to where I want it.. but it looks good!

I’ve also finally re-wired my pit, and installed the ICP, making things even better 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

in addition, I’ve been tweaking with the TQS adapter, trying to add a curve to the microstick, allowing better finetuned control in game.

In addition,
I’ve also published on github a little GUI wrapper for avrdude that allows a quick upload of images to ATMEGA 32u4 chips, I use it to quickly upload new FW to the throttle and ICP, but I assume others might find it usefull for other things as well.

Both of them are linked on the download page.

[Tech-Post] Encoders – re-discovering the obvious

I didn’t write any proper “tech post” in  a while. However while working on the ICP I’ve had to re-learn (like everytime) the basics.

This time it’s encoders that got my attention.
The Web is filled with howtos and tutorials about encoders, pages upon pages upon videos. all demonstrating and explaining how everything works.

in a sentence or two (or more), Rotary encoders have two output pins, connected to a common pin. When the encoder is in a detent (or stop), both pins are the same state, which is OPEN. when rotated, the pins pulse on and off between the stops, they do it in a staggered way. allowing us to determine rotation direction (and speed) of the rotation. I’ve yet to learn the speed bit, so let’s concentrate about direction. the pulses look something like this:

Rotary Encoder pulses (from the Arduino website)
Rotary Encoder pulses (from the Arduino website)

In this diagram the outputs are pulled down, and the common is connected to 5V. it can of course be the other way around.

to get the state we can use poll, an interrupt pin attached to one of the outputs, or two interup pins. attached to both outputs. the more interrupts you use, the less chance you will miss a pulse causing a step to be missed).

Regardless of the option you choose to use, all the articles have  an elaborated list of if statements, designed to figure out which thing goes where.. something in the spirit of:

if (pinA == HIGH) {
  if (pinB == LOW) {
    // it turned CW
  } else {
    //it turned CCW
  }
} else {
  if (pinB == HIGH) {
    // it turned CW
  } else {
    //it turned CCW
  }
}

Anyway, this is long, complex and pretty hard to understand.
But if we create a truth table based on the diagram above it reveals a little loophole.

 what triggered/pin status  A1B1 A0B0 A1B0 A0B1
ΔA  CW  CW  CCW  CCW
ΔB  CCW  CCW  CCW  CW

as you can see, the pin that changed, determins the rotation. if we use interrupt on pin A then:

if (pinA == pinB) {
    //it turned CCW
} else {
    // this is CW
}

Interrupt on the B pin will be the other way around.

And if you are triggering on both it’s also quite easy. you just need to use the correct if statement everytime.

That’s pretty much it 🙂

Standalone Cougar TQS (Throttle) – Part III

In the last two posts we worked with the hardware and basic code for debugging. In this post we will go over the basic changes done in the actual code.

Everything is already available in the download page.
You can browse the code and download all the stuff you need (including a pre-compiled Hex, ready to be uploaded to your device – incl. a simple script to help with it for those of you who only want it to work :))

Here is a small clip showing how it looks in windows.

Now let’s dig into some technical stuff (only if you want to) 🙂

Continue reading Standalone Cougar TQS (Throttle) – Part III

DEDuino – V1.1.3

I hope this will be the last of the 1.1.X line

in this Version the FFI has come full circle and has been completly overhauled with the help of the community.

It now includes a new display mode dubbed “RealFFI” that renders like the real thing (rather then mimicing the BMS FFI behavior as before). Both version are available, with the Performance advantage on the BMS render mode.

New link for downloads, and it’s here to stay 😉

http://pit.uriba.org/download

V1.1.3 “RealFFI”:


A real FFI:

 

 

DEDuino – v1.1.1

Second quick patch for the DEDuino project.

Following input and assistance from “Moon” and “AiRdAncE” the VP community, I’ve been pointed to the real FFI font, “MilSpec 35588“.

I’ve adjusted size and removed unneeded chars to create a new custom FFI font pretty much in the correct size to match a real face plate. Once I have one fabricated, I’ll adjust the font some more – but for now that is good enough IMHO

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

As always, the code is available on github .
links are available on the Download Page

DEDuino – v1.1

First patch for DEDuino.

New features include:

  • a new optional DED font by “Cool hand” (activated by default)
  • A new optional FFI font based on the work of “Moon” (activated by default)
  • New FFI Bezel drawing  – based on the work of “Topper Harly” (activated by default)
  • Connector app bug fixes (Automatically updated)

Thank you guys for making this project even better

Source code and download links are available on the Download Page