After the release of 1.1.3 I’ve learned some more about the limitation of the Project in regards to features with arduino models.
1. You MUST use Arduino IDE 1.5.x as the earlier version (1.0.x) compiles the code differently (which causes some odd annoying bugs.)
2. Arduino Uno has too little memory to handle too many things. Uno is the default for the project, as it is the most common model. it is NOT however the recommended model, the bare minimum is the Arduino Micro (which has 512 bytes of extra memory over the Uno). Due is highly recommended (and the entire project will soon shift towards it – but for now Micro is the Dev board I’m working with).
The biggest flaw with the Uno for now is that the RealFFI mode can only be used on an Uno if the FFI is the only screen active. If you have a DED/PFL enabled, the Uno does not have enough RAM to render the FFI frame correctly. however, because of the displays are using the same display and font enabling both DED and PFL is not a problem. you can even have the FFI enabled in “BMS render” mode without issues.
And as a bonus for hanging on so long some clips of DEDuino around the world! 🙂
From Italy we have “Cool hand”‘s DED box:
From Australia (the one with the Kangaroos),
we have “Moon”‘s prototype with a temporary paper bezel.
in this Version the FFI has come full circle and has been completly overhauled with the help of the community.
It now includes a new display mode dubbed “RealFFI” that renders like the real thing (rather then mimicing the BMS FFI behavior as before). Both version are available, with the Performance advantage on the BMS render mode.
Following input and assistance from “Moon” and “AiRdAncE” the VP community, I’ve been pointed to the real FFI font, “MilSpec 35588“.
I’ve adjusted size and removed unneeded chars to create a new custom FFI font pretty much in the correct size to match a real face plate. Once I have one fabricated, I’ll adjust the font some more – but for now that is good enough IMHO
As always, the code is available on github.
links are available on the Download Page
I’ve been getting some PMs on Viperpits from folks interested in some configuration or another. some what the FFI, others DED, FFI and PFL.
So I’ve decided to use the time till the PCBs arrive and test expected performance
I’ve opted to use my Arduino uno as he is the weakest one (the Micro has half a KB more RAM and a self adjusting serial communication, and the due – well, should be different ball game entirely…). If performance would be Acceptable on the Uno, it will be on every other device too.
I was too last night tired to finish the caution panel (control board wiring is still not done) – so I took the challange and played around with the code – trying to make code changes easier and more coherent and of course fine tune the performance.
This is a step along the way.
Redneck, this one is for you 😉
I’ve been contacted by “MrWell”, a BMS/ViperPits community member, to help him out with the FuelFlow Indicator after seeing my initial posts few weeks ago.
So I took some time to try and optimize the code to arduino Uno (Which I’ve planned on doing anyways) and Help a fellow nut by giving him to test out some experimental code. this is not a “numbered episode” but it’s related 🙂