As all FCC (and I assume RSSB users too) are aware, the way Thrustmaster are interfacing the grip to the base will cause, over time, and increasing amount of play in the grip. To solve this some solutions have been suggested by the community, from 3d printed braces to just sticking LEGO blocks between the grip and the locking screw. However, all those solutions work for the stock straight grip. However, If you have a 13 degrees adapter for the stick.. good luck with those.
So I’ve decided to try and model something for myself. I went with a press fit, no screws or any other fancy hardware.
it fits snugly under grip and reduces the play considerably. it does not eliminate play completely, but does an awesome job .
And to top it all off… I’ve uploaded the files to Thingiverse, so if you want it just grab it 🙂 please note that it’s licensed under CC-Share alike.
Well, now that we had covered the bases and we can actually “talk” with the hardware, it’s time to start designing the User experience. Or in other terms, I want to go from a “joystick” to a “product”.
in this post I’ll try and go over some of my ideas and howto overcome some of the difficulties involved.
This would be a short one, I’m writing these posts as I have some time, however, they are usually in a month or two delay behind the real timeline. sometimes it matters, usually it does not 🙂
In this matter it does. When I made my order for the FCC3, I’ve asked WhiteEagle some questions regarding the device, stating I’m going to build a controller for it and write my own custom firmware.
It turned out, that WhiteEagle was himself working on a similar project, he however focused on the hardware side deciding to use “off the self” firmware based on MMJOY2. We have decided that I’ll write my code to work on his hardware design, which over the process, evolved a bit to accommodate for my shenanigans (12 bit ADC) and his awesome ideas (like a centering assist LEDs).
As some of you may have seen WhiteEagle’s posts on ViperPits or on his own site, Vipercore. The firmware side is almost done, we still need to clean up some issues that may (or may not) exist.
In addition, I used this opportunity to go completely bananas on this one and took the HID protocol beyond anything I ever done to provide the best out of the Box experience I could do, allowing a trouble free experience once you have calibrated the hardware correctly.
However, For now I’ve yet to install the FCC in my pit, I’ve developed the hardware using my cougar with WhiteEagle providing real FCC3 tests and feedback. I hope that in the coming month I’ll be able to build a stick base, so the stick could be properly mounted.
FCC3 is basically there to get us as close as possible to the F-16 Stick. But it was always restricted by what the Cougar electronics allows you to do. I could build an equivalent and take it up a notch by giving a little bit more on the HW side. We’ve decided to start by addressing the much sought out buzz word “resolution”…
you might have heard about joysticks with “14 bit resolution” or “8 bit resolution”. in this post I’ll try to explain a bit about this and how does it affect us.
I’ve decided to upgrade my pit and get a Force sensitive mod for my stick. I’m currently using a stock Warthog, and I love it. the grip is fantastic. However, there is only one mod for it, which is the very expensive FSSB-R3 made by RealSimulators. The product seems to be a very good piece of engineering, and is a drop in replacement for the WH, slap the grip on the base and you are done. However, mounting in in a proper stick base is somewhat more problematic. The other Force-sensing mod is the FCC3 by ViperCore.nl it is somewhat cheaper, community proven for years. However, it has a major drawback, it requires the Cougar PCB to work. I have a cougar, but I refuse to use it 🙂 (see my TQS controller series).
But a lack of controller never stopped me 🙂 So I opted for the FCC3 and started to dig into my Cougar to understand what will be required.
In this post I’ll dive into the grip wiring and bit ordering, and all the other fun things I had to dig into a whole bunch of documents to find.